The health of our communities, our planet, and ourselves depend on how we plan, design, and construct the world between our buildings. Green Community explores the origins of our precarious ecological situation and introduces communities large and small where citizens, political leaders, planning and design professionals, developers, and government agencies are working together for a more sustainable future.
a green communities aren't a new idea. it was simply how people lived. healthy land - healthy crops - healthy people. it is how we live in cooperation with nature, not the choice. it is a matter of survival. the previous generations may not use the term like "sustainable development" or "smart growth", but they already knew that healthy place had clean air, fresh water, fertile soil and viable ways to move goods and people around.
as new technologies were invented, we changed how we lived. for example, we can travel around the world so easily and fast, we used electricity to light up our night and can keep warm during winter season and keep cool during summer. however, these convenience may bring consequences on our personal health and to the environment as well.
but the good thing is human still inventive and many communities nowadays are invest in new technologies, in order to create greener approaches of modern life.
DEFINITION OF GREEN COMMUNITIES
green communities are all about the actions made by individuals or by society to live on the earth in a sustainable way such as
- public transport, cycling and walking infrastructure that allows members of the society to travel sustainably without sacrificing quality of life - indeed enhancing it, while also saving money.
- urban planning regulations that encourage, rather than discourage, sustainability, allowing higher densities, encouraging alternatives.
- water management
- green infrastructure
- natural landscape
- appropriate transportation networks
- livable communities
- community character
- local economic health
- the way of water is managed.
- stormwater is handled as resources, instead of waste.
- manage, restore natural areas
- sense of community, rather than dividing and isolating residents
- encourage the use of natural landscaping through sustainable growth and native vegetation
- public location should serve as model for green development
- railways, roadways, trails, and walkways should serve both transportation and recreational needs
- neighborhood and community design should be based on an integrated network of roads and other transportation pathways to provide multiple routes for circulation.
- residential should mix with commercial area - for convenient access
- create active, inviting, and comfortable public spaces and destinations
- develop community design guidelines, codes and ordinances to protect and enhance character
- protect elements such as green space, neighborhood trees and forested areas
- revitalize the downtown and main streets and improve and protect community character to attract economic development
- conserve its land
- offers multiple option for transportation
- provides open space for recreation and cultivation
- uses its natural and cultural resources wisely
green communities has been a trend in design and lifestyle nowadays. as an individual that live on the earth, what can u do to be part of green communities? what can u contribute to conserve our natural resources and protect the earth?
everyone actually can contribute to become the green community... but as a planner and a designer, this green effort is a gold mine for us to express our beautiful and creative design for the sake of the environment and the people... =)
here's some of the effort being done by some designers and some people that aware about the green communities... happy watching!!! ^_^